Frequently Asked Questions

Why choose CSES at the U of A?

The Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food, and Life Sciences' Department of Crop, Soil, and Environmental Sciences offers nationally competitive undergraduate and graduate degree programs, and study-abroad opportunities designed to prepare knowledgeable students that are capable of contributing to society in many possible ways.

What can CSES do for you?

Our  programs are significantly increasing the number of undergraduate and graduate opportunities, allowing graduates to be highly competitive in the job market. Undergraduate majors are Crop Science and Environmental, Soil, and Water Science.  Minors include Crop Science, Crop Biotechnology, Pest Management, Soil Science and Natural Resource Management

How do CSES students study abroad?

The CSES department and Bumpers College have many opportunities for students to study abroad all over the world. More information about opportunities and student requirements can be found here, on the Bumpers College Internation Programs Office

What are the deadlines for admission to the U of A?

Deadlines and requirements vary between students and semesters. For undergraduate admissions, please go to the University's Admissions page. Graduate and international students should go to Graduate School and International Education.

How can I change my major into CSES?

Changing majors can be confusing, and we are here to help make the process as easy as possible. To declare a CSES major, you must contact the Bumpers College Deans Office at 479-575-2252 or in person at  AGRI 205 – Waldrip Student Center.

What careers are available to CSES graduates?

To see a comprehensive list of possible careers, please check our undergraduate academic page or ask your assigned academic advisor.

How do students find internships?

CSES students are encouraged to complete an internship during, or immediately after completing their degree program. Information can be found in the departmental office or by contacting their assigned academic advisor.

Is there an Honors Program for CSES students?

Yes. CSES students who demonstrate strong academic skills and dedication have the option to follow the ENSW (Change to ESWS) and CPSC Honors track. A substantial amount of scholarship money is available through these opportunities for qualified individuals. 

For more information regarding the Honors Program, contact Dr. Lisa Wood, our CSES representative, by phone at (479) 575-5739 or by email at Or visit 

Where can I get more information about the Graduate degree programs in the CSES department?

Our department offers nationally competitive Masters and Doctoral research programs. Crop sciences, soil sciences, and environmental sciences. Areas of specialization within these concentrations include plant breeding and genetics, biotechnology, water quality, environmental science, crop physiology, crop production, weed science, pesticide residue, seed technology, soil chemistry, soil classification, soil fertility, soil microbiology, and soil physics.

Please see the Graduate academics page for more information.


Are there job opportunities in the department for current students?

Each research lab hires undergraduate students as needed to assist in their research goals. Openings and availability can be found by contacting our individual faculty members. For a complete list of all of our faculty research areas, please see our Research by Faculty Member page.

Is financial assistance available?

The majority of CSES undergraduates receive some degree of financial assistance in the form of scholarships, loans, or work-study arrangements. Many CSES students also choose to work part-time in the department for one of the faculty members. 

CSES has a large number of scholarships available to undergraduate students from freshmen to seniors – over $180,000 in department scholarships was awarded to our undergraduate students in 2019-2020.

 For more information, visit Financial Aid and Scholarships.