Scholarships and Financial Aid
The Crop, Soil, and Environmetnal Sciences Department in combination with The Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences offer a large number of scholarship opportunities for all of our undergraduate students, and the CSES Department alone has awarded over $100,000 annually to our students. All scholarships available to students by the Bumpers College can be applied for by using the single form below. Please contact the Bumpers College Scholarship Office for any questions regarding the application process.
The 2019-2020 Bumpers College Scholarship Application is now closed.
The scholarship application process is open from January 1-February 15 every year.
Before applying, please read the instructions on the "How to Apply" tab they will lead you to the application portal.
For more information, contact Heather Parks (479-575-2596), Project Director for Scholarships and External Relations.
All Current, New Freshman, and New Transfers students are encouraged to apply.
Student who are changing their major to a major within Bumpers College must do so by February 12 for the purpose of scholarships. This includes incoming students;
Information for Current U of A Students, New Freshmen and New Transfers
- To apply for Bumpers College-Wide Academic scholarships:
- Complete the General Application before February 15, 11:59pm CST.
- Complete the Bumpers College Scholarship application by February 15, 11:59 CST. This application will only be recommended to you after you have submitted a complete General Application. .
- Add firstname.lastname@example.org to your e-mail address book, as some e-mail servers will block this address. The AcademicWorks system will send emails from this email address. Please check your spam/junk folder if you are not receiving them. You should also add the email address for Heather Parks email@example.com to your email address book as well
- You will need one letter of recommendation. It is highly recommended that you submit your recommendation request on the General Application early so that your recommender will have time to prepare your recommendation. You will be able to go back into AcademicWorks system and update your General Application if you are not ready to fully submit it at that time. Please provide the name and email address of your recommender when prompted on the application. Contact your recommender in advance and let them know that they will receive an automated email from the Academic Scholarship Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) asking them to submit their recommendation online directly into the application system. All recommendations must be submitted online no later than 11:59 PM on Monday, February 20,
- Current U of A Students: Your recommendation in the general section of the application must be from a faculty member, teaching assistant or academic advisor from the University of Arkansas who can speak to your academic abilities and potential.
- New U of A Students: Your recommendation may be from someone outside the University of Arkansas.
- Letter of Recommendation Etiquette:
- Make sure you ask your recommender before you submit their information
- Be respectful of their time. Give them at least 2 weeks to complete the letter before the deadline.
- A Résumé Template is available to help ensure you include all needed information.
- Marian Wright Edelman says, “Education is for improving the lives of others and for leaving your community and world better than you found it.” How has your life been improved by your education thus far and how do you anticipate leaving your community and world better than you found it after your time at the University of Arkansas?
- NOTE: You will only be directed to Bumpers College specific questions after the main application is completed – this includes uploading your essay, resume, and entering reference contact information.
To accept a Bumpers College scholarship package:
- We encourage all recipients to use their scholarship offer as confirmation for all appropriate notifications to local news media, educational entities and interested organizations.
- A letter of appreciation (if required) written to the listed scholarship donor(s) must be submitted by July 1 to ensure the timely disbursal of scholarship funds. Please follow the guidelines provided for letters of appreciation. Funds will only be released to student accounts after all required letters of appreciation are received and approved. Letter Guidelines can be found at the bottom of this page.
- By August 1, recipients of new scholarship awards must log in to the Bumpers College Scholarship application to record their intent to accept or decline the scholarship offer.
- NOTE: Current students with renewable Bumpers College scholarships for which this is not the first year of the award do not have to record their intent to continue the scholarship.
- Student Ambassadors do not have to log in to record their intent to accept their Ambassador scholarship
- Recipients of Crop, Soil and Environmental Sciences departmental scholarships will receive a departmental participation form through their uark email. This form must be completed and returned to the Bumpers College Scholarship Office.
- All materials should be returned in a single package to:
Bumpers College Scholarship Office
1 University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR 72701
All Bumpers College scholarship offers are made based on the information provided in the Bumpers College Scholarship Application. To remain eligible for offered scholarships, please note:
- All scholarship offers are considered “pending” until your eligibility has been confirmed and may be amended or rescinded if your eligibility changes. Verification of eligibility includes, but is not limited to, verification of a maintained cumulative grade point average and current-year FAFSA information.
- Unless otherwise stated, scholarship funds will be applied directly to your student account, half per semester, pending confirmation of the stated criteria and provided you are enrolled in a Bumpers College degree program as a full-time undergraduate student with a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester. Any exceptions to the number of hours required are noted in the scholarship criteria.
- Bumpers College scholarships and associated departmental scholarships will be withdrawn if you change your major outside the Bumpers College, or if the information provided at the time of application has changed such that you are no longer eligible for a scholarship; or may be adjusted if you receive additional financial aid totaling more than the cost of attendance as defined by the Office of Financial Aid.
- Departmental scholarships will be withdrawn if you change to a major outside the awarding department.
- Your spring payment is contingent on your continued full-time enrollment in the same degree program.
- If you will be graduating in December or do not need full-time hours to graduate in your final, graduating semester, please contact the Bumpers College Scholarship Office immediately.
- By accepting this scholarship package, you agree to have your picture taken by our Communications Department, at a date to be determined, for use by the Bumpers College Scholarship Office and to participate in scholarship activities as your academic schedule permits.
STEP 1 - COMPOSE YOUR LETTER OF APPRECIATION:
- Letters of Appreciation must:
- NOT include your address or date
- Be TYPED
- Have 1” margins
- Do not create stationery that includes the college or university logos. Only blank paper or non-college stationery will be accepted.
- Be one page in length
- Single-spaced with double spacing between paragraphs
- Do not indent the first lines of paragraphs
- Use a 10pt or 12pt font (Times New Roman preferred)
- Be error free (spelling, grammar, correct college name, correct scholarship name, and correct donor)
- Note the college name is: Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences or Bumpers College
- Follow this format:
- Salutation – “Dear name” – Donor first names are not included in the salutation.
- Paragraph 1 – Express your appreciation to the donor for your financial assistance through the scholarship. INCLUDE the CORRECT, FULL name of the scholarship (See award letter). DO NOT include the scholarship value; instead, use a general thank you for this “generous gift,” “wonderful scholarship,” “much appreciated assistance,” or a similar phrase.
- Paragraph 2 – Tell the donor about you. What year you are at the UofA (incoming freshman, new transfer student, junior, etc.), your major, your hobbies, other interests. New freshmen include what high school you are graduating from and in what activities you have been involved.
- Paragraph 3 – Tell about your future plans: what career you want to pursue, if you want to study abroad, or if you want to earn an advanced degree
- Paragraph 4 – Thank the donor again. Let them know how important this scholarship is, and if you hope to help future students through scholarship donations after you begin your career.
- Closing and Name – Leave enough blank space for your signature to be placed between the closing and your typed name.
STEP 2 - SUBMIT YOUR LETTER FOR REVIEW:
- Email your letter as a .doc or .docx attachment to Heather Parks , Project Director for Scholarships and External Relations By May 1st
STEP 3 - SIGN and MAIL YOUR LETTER:
- You will receive your reviewed letter of appreciation via email from Bumpschl@uark.edu. Within one week, print your reviewed letter on 8 ½” x 11” plain paper.
- Sign this copy with blue or black ink
- Bring the signed letter to the Bumpers College Deans' Offices in AFLS E202, or mail the signed letter to:
Bumpers College Scholarship Office
1 University of Arkansas, AFLS E202
Fayetteville, AR 72701
DEPARTMENTAL LEVEL UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIPS
|UNDERGRADUATE DEPARTMENTAL SCHOLARSHIPS:||Eligible applicants must be Crop Science or Environmental, Soil and Water Sciences majors, students and meet the following criteria:|
|C. Roy Adair - Agronomy||Senior (must have completed 90 hours); Upper fourth of class; Financial need|
|Robert W. Anderson||Preference to freshmen with interest in plant protection, pest management, entomology or weed science|
|Arkansas Crop Protection Association||Juniors or seniors majoring in Crop Science or Horticulture, Landscape and Turf Sciences; 2.50 or higher cumulative grade point average|
|Arkansas Plant Food Association||
3.00 or higher cumulative grade point average; Arkansas Residents; Upperclassmen; Financial Need; Extracurricular Activities; Leadership
|Arkansas State Plant Board Intern||Junior or senior majoring in Crop Science or Horticulture, Landscape and Turf Sciences; 2.80 or higher cumulative grade point average|
|Dr. James L. Barrentine Endowed||2.50 or higher cumulative grade point average; Preference to (in order) freshmen or transfer students from Eastern Arkansas, freshmen or transfer students, upperclassmen|
|R.P. & Mildred E. Kline Bartholomew Memorial||3.00 or higher cumulative grade point average; Financial need|
|Paul & Irma Boyer||Financial need; Preference to interest in pest management; 2.50 grade point average required first semester to receive second semester funds.|
|Caviness Endowed||Upperclassmen; 3.00 or higher cumulative grade point average; Collegiate extracurricular activities; Preference to interest in plant breeding|
|Jacob Coleman Memorial Endowed||2.75 or higher cumulative grade point average; Preference to Arkansas residents|
|Sherman D. Cullum Sr.||Upperclassmen; May be renewed|
|Eddie Davis||Preference to upperclassmen|
|Delta Classic||2.75 or higher (3.00 or higher preferred) cumulative grade point average; Academic performance; Community involvement; Financial need|
|DuPont Education Support for Minority Students in Weed Science||Minority students|
|Fontaine Richard Earle Endowed||Upperclassmen; Preference to interest in existing species/environment/agricultural economy interaction|
|Harold & Iva Hicks Endowed||May also consider Agricultural Business, Human Environmental Sciences and Entomology majors|
|Dale A. and Wilhelmina S. Hinkle||Juniors or seniors with emphasis in environmental science|
|Clifford Bruce Jacobs Endowed Agricultural||Graduates of DeWitt or Gillett high schools in Arkansas; 2.50 minimum grade point average; Renewable|
|Dr. and Mrs. J.O. Legg||Character; Industriousness; Scholastic achievement|
|Sam Offutt Memorial Scholarship in Agronomy||Upperclassmen must have 3.00 or higher cumulative grade point average; Incoming freshmen must have high grade point average and minimum 24 ACT score|
|Wayne E. Sabbe-Arkansas Plant Food Association Endowed||3.00 or higher cumulative grade point average; Preference to upperclassmen; Preference to Arkansas residents; Preference to financial need; Agricultural Business majors may also be considered|
|SFP & Dr. J. Larry Sanders Agriculture and Innovation||Completed 28 or more credit hours; 3.00 or higher grade point average; Extracurricular activity|
|Charles A. Stutte Memorial||no additional criteria|
|Lyell and Marcell J. Thompson Endowed||Upperclassmen who contribute to diversity; Preference to 3.00 or higher cumulative grade point average; Preference to Arkansas residents; May be renewable|
|Bobby R. Wells Memorial||Upperclassmen; Academic merit|
|White River EPA||no additional criteria|
|Harvey A. York and John O. York Plant Breeding||Outstanding junior; Plant breeding concentration (not bio-tech)|
|Sabbe, Wayne E. Endowed/International Agronomic Study Abroad||Junior, Senior or Graduate students; Preference to soil science research|
|American Society of Agronomy||Graduate and Undergraduate scholarships|
|Arkansas Agricultural Consultants Association|
|Arkansas Association of Professional Soil Classifiers James L. Gray Scholarship||Be at least in their second year of study at an accredited college or university in Arkansas; Soil science (or related) major; 2.75 or higher cumulative grade point average; Contact Dr. Kristofor Brye|
|Arkansas Game and Fish Commission Conservation Scholarship|
|Arkansas Society of Professional Sanitarians|
|Arkansas Environmental Federation|
|Garden Club of America|
|Mark and Theresa Gentry Land and Water Scholarship||Undergraduate and graduate students of the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, who are studying land and water resources management, or related areas. Email for application. More information available.|
|Razorback Chapter Soil and Water Conservation Scholarship (NRCS)||Email for information and application.|
|Nancy and Neill Sloan Endowed Graduate||Master-level graduate students; Entomology and Plant Pathology majors also considered|
|Spooner Scholar Award||Two or more graduate semesters completed; Academic record; Leadership|
|Ron & Alice Talbert Endowed Weed Science||Studying weed science; Innovative scientific initiative; Outstanding academic record|
|Soil and Water Conservation Scholarships
Kenneth Grant - Research Grant
|List Compiled as of 7/14/2015|